Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So my meal plan is really a template

I write a meal plan (almost) every week, but I never actually follow it. I mean sometimes I make what I planned to on the right day, but really this is more of a coincidence. I do try but things get in the way, you know, and I give up on cooking pretty fast. I'm working on it.
Anyway, today I planned to make texas rice skillet but I didn't. I made sausage and potatoes. Not sure where I found this recipe, but I had potatoes O'Brien in the freezer since forever! and they needed to be used up, so I googled a recipe that used them and that's what I made. It's a simple recipe.
I got 1/2 lb of smoked sausage (froze the rest) and browned it in a skillet. Then I took 1/2 bag of potatoes O'Brien that I defrosted in the microwave for 5 min and threw it in the skillet with a little bit of olive oil and cooked till crunchy. I topped it all with cheddar cheese.
I served this with a garden salad because my lettuce was on the way out. I had to use it up quick and the corn can wait.
The salad cost about .50 cents.
The sausage was 3.00 used 1/2 so that 1.50
The cheese I bought for 1.00 and I used less than 1/2 so that's...about .40
The potatoes I have no clue. I'm thinking they were 3.00 so that would be 1.50
If my memory and math are correct, that's $3.90.
Not too bad.

Now that my focus is on the freezer, I'm realizing I don't remember what I paid for something I bought 4 months ago. Not really sure why I thought I would!
Now I've started labeling things. I always put what the item is and the date, but now I've been writing what I paid for it. Like today I froze the rest of the sausage. I labeled it:
Smoked Sausage
2-17-10
$1.50
So when I pull this out in a few months I won't have to guess. I'll be able to add that in to the cost of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment