Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dinner and frugality.

(So none of my pictures will upload. Don't know why. I'll probably try again later)
So I think I've stumbled on a plan. On Tuesday I took out my ground beef to defrost for dinner that night and I had the idea to take the steak out too, for Wednesday's dinner. So I made teriyaki burgers on Tuesday which cost me about oh... $2.50. And then with the juice I made a marinade for the steak and let that marinade overnight, so tonight they were ready to be grilled. And because I had already defrosted the meat and had already let it marinade, I just had to make dinner. I couldn't tell myself any excuses. I had to execute this plan. So I grilled my steaks kinda early, so they could rest and cool, then be sliced up and put in my salad.

And then Russ called. He wanted us to go hang out with a friend for a while tonight. K, perfect, we'll eat right after and the steaks will already by grilled so we'll have to eat them! So while I waited for the steaks to cook, I already chopped my veggies so when we do get home later tonight everything will be ready, well almost ready.
So in here, I've got sugar snap peas, mushrooms, radishes, carrots, and cucumbers.
I didn't chop up the tomatoes, because I didn't want them to get gross sitting in the fridge for a couple hours. And I chopped the onion, but didn't want to add them to the rest of the veggies because I didn't want all the other veggies to smell and taste like onion.
And I didn't slice the steak because I didn't want it to lose all it's yummy juices. But those are quick fixes and then dinner will be quick and easy tonight. And it should cost about... maybe $6. The steak was more expensive than I'd like but I bought it a while ago, when I'm still (and I'm constantly) learning.

Oh, and another frugal thought. I used 2 pineapple rings on the burgers last night, used the juices in the marinde and ate the remaining 6ish rings today for lunch. I've never eaten rings alone like that, but why not? It's still pineapple and it didn't get wasted. yay.

PS. So we're back and we ate. Here's the finished product.


It's kinda pretty. I cooked the steaks too long tho. Too bad. I'm still kinda proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment