Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bountiful Basket Pickup Day!

My sis in law told me about this co-op called Bountiful Baskets, so I decided to try it. It was $15.00 plus a handling fee for fresh produce. This morning I went to a local elementary school parking lot where it was all set up. You have to bring you're own bags (or baskets, or boxes...) and for every order they had 1 basket of veggies and 1 basket of fruit. Here's what I got:
In this picture:
1 small watermelon
1 stalk of celery
1 bunch of bananas (I gave 2 to my mom, and 1 found left in the bag)
some Brussels sprouts
2 things of broccoli
3lb bag green apples
4 ears of corn
some nectarines
1 head lettuce
3 tomatoes
1 pinapple

AND I gave my parents:
1 cantelope (because I don't like them)
3 ears of corn (because 7 ears for 1 person is too much!)
1 stalk of celery (because, again, 2 stalks is a lot and my mom loves celery)
2 bananas because they wanted them. haha.

All in all I was pretty impressed with the whole thing. It was really a lot of produce and well worth the cost I think.  You don't know what you're going to get until you show up. Sometimes you get crazy things- last week my sis in law got a lot of bok choy. I'm not sure what she did with it all. And I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Brussels sprouts but I'm kind of excited about it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment