Thursday, January 21, 2010

Grocery Shopping Day

So I really do plan to take a picture of my groceries but I usually forget until after all of the groceries are put away. Anyway. Today I worked late and didn't plan anything for dinner, but when I did get off work, I was starving and Russ hadn't eaten. I was planning on picking up some groceries anyway so I picked up some stuff at the store for dinner tonight. Lasagna, Garlic bread and salad (which I was going to get stuff for salad anyway.) I went with lasagna because I could microwave it in ten minutes so it'd be quick and Russ and I both agreed to it.  I went to get the Stoffers microwaveable lasagna, you know that little box but it was 7.99! So I said no to that. But then I saw Claim Jumpers lasagna. It was a smaller box, which was actually better for Russ and me because then we'd eat less and save on calories. That was only 3.50. Less than 1/2 the price. I also got the pre-frozen New York Texas Garlic bread that was 2.69 and I had a .50Q. So I grilled two of those for dinner tonight and we'll have more for later dinners. I also bought:

Toaster Strudels 1.66
Toaster Strudels 2.50- .55Q
FiberOne yogurts 2.00-1.00Q
2 healthy choice meals 1.67 ea -1.00Q= 1.17 ea
Soup at Hand Soup 1.50- .50Q
Chicken drumsticks 3.76 (can't remember who many lbs this is, I'm pretty sure it was 1.19/lb)
Romaine lettuce 1.00
2 Roma tomatoes .48
Orange .79
Pear .46
Total: 24.09
Total savings: 14.32

I don't think I did too bad. I did go over budget by just over a dollar, but I did buy dinner that I didn't plan on, and I think we're set grocery wise (except for produce) for the next three weeks.


Here's why I don't think I did too bad. Like I mentioned, I work at a grocery store and I was checking this ladies groceries today. She mentioned to be something about this is what's for dinner tonight.  Here's what she bought:
French bread 1.99
Rotisserie Chicken 7.99
Salad bar 12.51
Total: 23.82

Really? Gayle at the Grocery cart challenge was just taking about paying for convenience when buying packaged salad. At Harmons where I work we do have a great (very overpriced) salad bar that can make a great lunch option every now and then and I mean every now and then. But I would never buy it as a side dish to dinner. Ok, my salad tonight wasn't as fancy. I didn't get all the trimming like she did, but really it's salad. It can only get so fancy. Our salad consisted of: Romaine, tomato, green onion, cucumber, and banana peppers.
The lettuce was 1.00 but I literally used 2 leaves, and there's like what 20? that's .10
The tomato was .12
the green onion was maybe .20
The cucumber: .20
and the peppers were not even .50.
Total:  1.12
And I'm pretty sure I rounded up. Okay and that doesn't include dressing. Add another .50 for dressing and it's still $10.00 cheaper than her salad!! Yes I had to chop up the veggies and tear the lettuce. I did that while the lasagna cooked. How could it have been easier?

AND the chicken. 8.00 for a chicken. I got a roasting chicken the other day for 3.49. Yeah,I'll have to add in the cost of the seasonings, but it's sooo minimal I won't even do that math. Plus it's not like its too hard to cook. I'm going to plop it in my lovely crock pot and go on with my merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment