Monday, November 16, 2009

Using up veggies

I'm loving this food waste thing! The more I document how much I've wasted, the more I focus on using up more of what might get wasted. Produce is the easiest thing to waste, since it has a short shelf life. Fruit's not that hard for me to use up- but veggies are! Russ isn't a big vegetable eater, he only eats what I put on his plate. But I'm realizing that it's not as hard as I thought. 
1. Sandwiches. What veggies can go in a sandwich? ANY! I used to put on the standard tomato, lettuce and onion on my sandwiches, but really experiment with any veggies that need to be used up. Peppers- yellow is my favorite! Avocado, cucumbers...
2. Salads. It may sound silly that you can add veggies to a salad. But like sandwiches, I was in a salad rut. Lettuce, tomato, green onion, cucumber, banana peppers. But, again, you can use whatever you have! Add corn, chopped up baby carrots, jicama...tonight, we ate a salad with yellow peppers, red onion and avocado (on top of our Romaine lettuce). Yum! 
Then I'll use up the pepper in the fajitas on Friday, and I'll make the rest of the avocado into gaucamole and eat it with chips for lunch tomorrow. (I'll squirt a bit of lemon in there, to keep it fresh). 
How do you use up your veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment