Friday, June 11, 2010

Good leftover week!

Have you ever had a foil dinner? I love them. My dad, who's a huge boyscouter, traditionally makes them on camping trips but every now and then he would make them for us at home. And like I said, I love them. They're super easy and super versatile. My favorite combo is:
potatoes
carrots
yellow pepper (any color will do of course)
Red onion (or white or sweet too)
mushrooms (brown, white, portabello)
and protein cut up into chunks, ground beef, stew meat, chicken. (I used 1/2 lb ground beef)
Add a few pats of butter, lots of (my fav!) worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic and onion salt. Wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap VERY tightly. Make sure there is No leaks. Cook in 400 deg oven for about 50 min. TIP: make sure you cut your potatoes and carrots pretty small, because they take a while to cook and if you cut them the same size as your meat, either the potatoes are under done or the meat is too done. So I've found that small potatoes and carrots and bigger chunks of meat work best.
Plus, once you open up the foil packet, you can't really cook it anymore.

Now, I used about 1/4 the pepper, 1/4 onion and 1/4 package of mushrooms. What to do with the leftovers?
Tonight I made fajitas.
On the Foreman grill I grilled some chicken strips, and the pepper/onion/ mushrooms. I sprinkled taco seasoning over everything and let them cook. Add the mix to warm tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. YUM. Same veggies, very different flavors.
And tomorrow: Stir fry!
I'll toss everything in the pan with some ginger and soy sauce and serve over rice.

And the next day: Taco salad!
With the rest of the 1/2 lb ground beef, I cooked it up already with some chopped red onion and taco seasoning. I'll heat that up and top it with salsa, lettuce, cheese and the rice I precooked for the stir fry. If I'm feeling up for it, I might even bake a tortilla into a taco shell.

I'm just loving how I can reuse everything! And I'm not having to eat the same thing, or even the same flavor day after day. This plan should surely prevent against having too much food waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment