Friday, December 18, 2009

Not quite meatless

One of the first budgeting tips you'll find is to go meatless at least once a week. And I really love reading Cate at Budget Confessions chronicle her meatless meals.  I'm really bad at planning meatless meals. Mainly I switch between either French toast or soup and grilled cheese. Honestly, we don't go meatless very often in this house. But this week I've tried another tactic. I made One pan taco dinner with one pound of ground beef.  The recipe says it feeds 4 but it really makes a TON on food. Not only did I freeze half of it, I had leftovers! To those leftovers, I added diced can tomatoes and stuffed the mixture in roasted red peppers and topped with cheese. Yum! So it may not be meatless but it's only 1 lb a meat that made (at least) 2 dinners to feed 2 people. Then tonight I made BBQ chicken sandwiches. I put 1 chicken breast in the Crockpot and poured BBQ sauce on it and let it cook. So simple and the smell brought me right back to an annual work party/picnic at my dad's work that my family and I LOVED! When it was cooked through, I shredded the chicken and added a bit more sauce. Then I served it on hamburger buns with homemade potato wedges. Probably the easiest dinner ever and since we only need 1 chicken breast (instead of the usual 2) it was frugal too.
The whole point? It may be hard for me to go 'meatless' but that doesn't mean I can't stretch out the meat! I'd normally use 2 chicken breasts or 1 lb ground beef per meal.  By cutting those in half I saved approx 2.85. K, not a fortune, but everything adds up, right? Isn't that why we do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment